Thursday, May 19, 2011

I Can't Believe They Said That!

One thing we all have in common is hurtful comments said to us by friends and family members as we are living out our infertility journey. Although people try to be well intentioned, sometimes it would be better if they didn't say anything at all. What about you? One hurtful thing which may have been said to you is..."You can always adopt!"

Now don't get me wrong. I am a firm believer in adoption. There are many newborn babies, toddlers, and teenagers who can use a good home. My problem with the comment is when people launch into a long discussion about how they started adoption proceedings only to find out that they were expecting.

My problem is...that you should commit to adopting or not. I don't believe in using adoption as a way to leverage on God, nor do I believe that adoption is a consolation prize. Adoption is a wonderful thing for many families and it is not for others. My frustration is when people offer it up as a 'quick fix' to my situation.


I was listening to a radio show and the woman interviewed was talking about her infertility journey. She had had this comment made to her more than once and when she was being interviewed, although this had happened a long time ago...she was crying. I felt so bad for her. The pain in her voice was so evident. I almost contacted the program organizers to see if I could express comforting comments to her.

What comments have other persons spoken in haste, or without thinking through how it sounds to you, or how it will impact your life? 

We would love to hear what you have experienced. We would also love to hear positive, kind things which people have said to you as well.
Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment